Sometimes citizens act as if ordinances in the Town of Marlinton were put into effect just to annoy them or to make money.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

However, we must admit, that the Town has not done a good job of educating the public about building requirements. The Website Committee has spent a great deal of time designing a new website, which will be ready near the end of this month. This newly designed website will provide information and applications, which the public will be able to easily access.

Until then, here is a reminder.

  • Whatever the project, call the Town office. In most cases, you need a PERMIT.
  • Are you intending to build or remodel a structure within the Town of Marlinton? (Call the Town office).
  • Are you already building or remodeling within the Town, without a permit? For sure, you need to call the office. 304-799-4315.

When a PERMIT is required for building or remodeling, the Town needs basic information. Application forms are available at the office. You will need to identify either new construction, additions, alterations, extensions, demolition and removals, etc.

Under Chapter 3, section 4-301, other additional information from the applicant is required, such as tie-in survey; location identified by using the West Virginia Flood Determination Tool, and certificate of elevation, where required.

When in doubt, check it out.

It is worth a call.